Find out more about some of our recent successful projects.
Since the Electricity Authority was established in November 2010, we’ve undertaken a diverse range of projects. These are some of our successes:
- Developing EMI, our electricity market information portal that gives consumers, industry participants and other stakeholders transparent access to reports and data about New Zealand’s electricity markets.
- Alongside ConsumerNZ, our What’s My Number campaign has meant 744,918 households - and rising - have switched to a different retailer for a better deal.
- Incentivising security of supply through creating the customer compensation scheme, which helped ensure that, despite dry periods ahead of the 2012 and 2013 winters, there was no supply emergency.
- Facilitating the development of the hedge market to help manage spot price risk, encourage new entrants into the market and enhance competition.
- Launching the financial transmission rights market - a hedge product to help parties manage the risk they face from large, unpredictable differences in wholesale electricity prices between the North and South Islands.
We recognise that our people play a pivotal role in these successes, and the Authority is committed to providing support including leadership training and programmes, workplace flexibility and other employee benefits. We celebrate success and recognise exceptional performance.